- Load meat kebabs with vegetables (such as onion, courgette and peppers) to reduce the meat content and up your veggie intake. Season with herbs for fat and salt free flavour.
- Even out the meat on the barbecue with some fish. You can find barbecue ready fish in supermarkets, such as sardines which are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids.
- Reduce your red meat intake by making burgers from chicken or turkey mince. Season with some fresh herbs and chilli.
- Don’t forget the non-meat eaters! Try grilling some halloumi for a meat-free option.
- Try to make your own marinades and rubs, simple combinations of lemon/lime and a mixture of herbs and spices can add some great flavours and can be healthier alternatives to many shop-bought varieties that contain added salt and sugar!
- Serve salad and corn on the cob as side dishes.
- Watch out for high fat dressings and dips! Try lighter options such as a splash of lemon juice/vinaigrette dressing or a low fat yogurt and cucumber dip.
- Create a light dessert with fresh berries and natural yogurt. Summer is a great time of year to really showcase fresh seasonal local produce so find a local supplier.
- Reduce your alcohol intake. Add some soda water into your wine to make it a longer drink and create some ‘mocktails’ for a refreshing alcohol free alternative.
See below for some barbecue recipe inspiration and how to make your own dips and salads as great tasty additions!